When passengers ride with you, they must wear a helmet and protective gear. The tips that follow, gathered from several states’ motorcycle operator’s manuals, may increase the safety of your passengers:
- Insist that passengers sit behind you on the motorcycle.
- Make sure passengers’ feet can reach the footrests. Insist that they keep their feet on the footrests at all times, even when you stop.
- Don’t let passengers get on the motorcycle until after you start it.
- Tell your passengers to lean with you when you turn.
- Insist that passengers hold on to your waist all the time.
- Instruct passengers to keep their legs away from the muffler to avoid burns.
- Ask that passengers limit their movement and talking.
For more information, check out our Motorcycle Injury & Safety Links section.