Michael Padway & Associates logo

What you need to know about Foreign Motorcycle Insurance

If you’re planning to bring your motorcycle into a foreign country for touring, you may be required to purchase Foreign motorcycle insurance or temporary “green card” motorcycle insurance. Chances are that your current policy does not cover international travel, so its important to establish whether a) the country you’re traveling to requires insurance b) which new policy you’ll be purchasing. It’s also important to note that most countries, including the United States will not release a motorcycle from Customs without proof of insurance.

Motorcycle Insurance for US & Canada
If you’re interested in purchasing motorcycle insurance for the United States or Canada, its important to know that the U.S./Canadian law requires it. This kind of temporary insurance will meet the minimum requirements of each state in the U.S. and will comply with any Canadian Province.  Temporary coverage can be purchased by the duration of your trip and should include a variety of options including liability (only) or liability with fire, theft, and vandalism coverage.

The minimum coverage in the U.S. is 50-500k per accident in liability insurance, in addition to bodily injury/property damage coverage. Optional coverage includes:

  • Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Guest Passenger
  • Uninsured Motorist

Motorcycle Insurance in Europe
When traveling to Europe, American and Canadian citizens will need to purchase Temporary Motorcycle “Green Card” Insurance. This policy will cover you for the duration of your trip and will meet foreign regulations for tourists. You’ll need to purchase temporary liability coverage for the number of months you’ll be traveling and you may also consider purchasing bodily injury, collision or comprehensive coverage. Additionally, it’s important to note that many foreign policies cannot be purchased internationally, so you must contact a local insurance broker in the European country you’ll travel to.

It is important to consider your comfort level as a driver when purchasing insurance packages for foreign touring – be honest with yourself. If you are nervous about the tour, or you occasionally experience lack of focus or heightened anxiety while driving, you may be more likely to be involved in an accident in foreign territory. This is due to a combination of factors including new surroundings, new road laws and new sights to see.

It’s always smart to play it safe and plan as much as possible for the unexpected. If you’re at all worried or nervous about touring in a foreign country, buy extra protection for you and your motorcycle.

Share this Article

About the Author

Michael Padway is a motorcycle accident attorney with over 40 years of experience in motorcycle cases. He’s been a lifelong motorcycle rider, and fanatic for its culture, advocacy, and safety. If you need assistance with a motorcycle accident, contact him at (800) 928-1511 or visit michaelpadway.com for a free consultation.